Wednesday 12 October 2016

No.42, Filey Street...6 years later


I touched the cold iron wrought gate that opened to the small yard leading to No. 42, Filey Street, I was not sure whether it was the sleet rain or tears that rolled down my cheeks that day. But I felt a big lump in my chest that got stuck in my throat and my eyes got very misty. It was the 27th of April. 2016, summer, in Sheffield, yet the rain that fell brought sleet n snow instead of water. The last time Afzal crossed these gates was in February, 2010, when he said goodbye to his friends and left to come home for good.


It was an unplanned trip to the United Kingdom, to accompany Jep and his family, but when I purchased the air tickets to London, it was clear in my mind that I would like to revisit No. 42, Filey Street, Sheffield. The journey from London to Sheffield brought back waves of memories, with familiar sights greeting me all along the way. I felt like I'm going "home".


I toured Yafai, the grocery store opposite No. 42, Filey Street and chatted with the new owner, whose cousin manned the store back in 2010 ( but the new owner has heard of Afzal ), There were containers filled with "Nasi Kerabu" and "Beriani" on the cashier's counter, which I was told was placed there by Malaysian students. I bought one "Nasi Kerabu" and one "Beriani" and left to get ready to visit Eymen Kaya, a dear friend whose family took Afzal under their wings when he was sick.


I walked the streets of  the city, tracing the tramp route from the Sheffield University Station,had dinner at Popeye's on West Street and bought chocolates from Thorntons in downtown Sheffield. Although it has been 6 years since I was last there, nothing much has changed. It really felt like I'm visiting "home".


Today, you would have turned 32. I still miss you so much that it hurts. Being able to go back to where you spent many years studying, made friends and enjoyed life, meant so much. Thank you Allah for making it happen........Mama Afzal.

22 comments:

RR said...

AlFarihah. We miss him very much too as he is very much a part of our lives.

RR said...

*AlFatihah

RR said...

#maktampaktamainul#

Alyn said...

Memory of him is still fresh in my mind..al fatihah..

#sheffield0206
#5fileystreet
#s102ff

Alyn said...

Memory of him is still fresh in my mind..al fatihah..

#sheffield0206
#5fileystreet
#s102ff

Unknown said...

I was his deputy of SMSA back then. Great leader he was..

Be proud Mama Afzal, as he is in a greater place now In Sha Allah

MSI said...

InsyaAllah kalian akan bertemu kembali di syurga.
Barokah Mas Afzal yang banyak jasanya kepada gerakan Islam dan seluruh lapisan masyarakat yang disantuninya.

- Mohd Shahnom

Unknown said...

Al Fatihah. I never knew the mom neither the son. It must be hard when your own son left earlier than you. Keep strong!

Roszelia Richard said...

May his soul rest in peace. Im sure Dato' arwah is doing fine up there. From your blog here, you are lovely mom and i adore you as a women and you are good example to us.

Anonymous said...

I keep checking for any updates. Be proud of him mama Afzal.Al Fatimah.

Unknown said...

Great blog, Thanks.



surah al fatiha, surah al fatihah, al fatihah, al fatiha, surat al fatihah, surah fatiha, surah fatiha, el fatiha, fatiha, Quran Online

Anonymous said...

Auntie, please do update. I really miss it.

Anonymous said...

Auntie, please do drop a few lines. We really miss the updates in this blog

Anonymous said...

Assalamualaikum. I have not been able to log into this blog anymore. I will try to settle it and will be back with updates, in shaa Allah...mama Afzal

Anonymous said...


Salam Mama Afzal, please do share with us...look forward to hearing more from you. Fatihah to my beloved brother Afzal.

Anonymous said...

Salam Mama Afzal, what is your new blog? Al-Fatihah for Afzal.

Anonymous said...

Auntie, we love to hear from you. What is your new blog? Al-Fatihah to my beloved Afzal.

Anonymous said...


台湾辣妹视讯聊天 , 台湾辣妹视讯聊天 , 台湾辣妹视讯聊天 , 台湾辣妹视讯聊天 , 台湾辣妹视讯聊天 , 台湾辣妹视讯聊天 , 台湾辣妹视讯聊天 , 台湾辣妹视讯聊天 , 台湾辣妹视讯聊天 , 台湾辣妹视讯聊天

Anonymous said...

Asalaamulaikum, I know I am lat to this blog but wanted to share some of my thoughts re Mas Afzal for he was truly an inspiration and a great person. I had the pleasure and honour of residing with him in my first year of university at Victoria Hall. I moved from Manchester away, from my parents into a flat with people I didn’t know (similar to him albeit the distance between Malaysia and Manchester is incomparable). By the mercy of Allah, I was placed with Mas and while our subjects and backgrounds differed, we bonded over Islam and Love of Manchester United and playing football together. Our friendship carried over thereafter, we would play football regularly at the local school (concrete pitch) and I was proud when he became leader of the Malaysian society. He invited me to his home to watch the champions league and was always a kind and caring brother. I graduated in 2007 and whilst I had his no. Unfortunately we didn’t stay in contact (I also do not use social media). A few years back I searched his name as was astounded by the news of his death, truly did knock me as I thought he had travelled back to Malaysia to become the doctor his country invested in him to be. Truly was a reminder for myself about how short this life is and to take nothing for granted. I have a teenage son who studies medicine and share Mas’s story with him as a reminder. May Allah grant you beautiful patience and Mas the highest rank of jannat, may Allah make what he went through expiations for any sins, and a means of entry for his parents and himself to Jannat. I know it is cliche to say he was a great brother, but genuinely he truly was, always smiling with a positive outlook on life. I look back at our time together as a blessing SubhanAllah.

Anonymous said...

UT/UT/UT/UT/UT/UT/UT/UT/UT/UT

Anonymous said...

MasyaAllah. Aamiin.

Anonymous said...

May Allah grant the highest jannah to Mas Afzal, my housemate at Filey St, Ameen